Strategic Plan Goal E
The 2014-2019 Sonoma County Junior College District Strategic Plan outlines its vision: SRJC aspires to be an inclusive, diverse, and sustainable learning community that engages the whole person.
Further, one of the eight values identified in this plan is Sustainability that includes:
- The teaching of sustainability principles and concepts
- Research on sustainable development projects/issues
- Incorporating ecological values and practices in the District's operations
- Support and promotion of sustainability efforts in our community
- Fiscal solvency and sustainability
Goal E: Establish a Strong Culture of Sustainability that promotes environmental stewardship, economic vitality, and social equity may be achieved by the following high-level actions:
- Expand, support, and monitor district-wide sustainability practices and initiatives
- Infuse sustainability across the curriculum and promote awareness throughout District operations
- Promote social and economic equity in the communities we serve
- Ensure economic sustainability by leveraging resources, partnering with our communities, and contributing to the economic growth of the region
In 2019, SRJC submitted its first STARS® report. STARS® the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System created by the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) as a transparent, self-reporting framework for universities and colleges to measure their sustainability performance. We are the first community college in California to complete this assessment!
We have been awarded a bronze-level designation.
SRJC will use the results of this assessment to guide the creation of a new sustainability plan and to improve efforts across categories for future submissions of STARS®.
Five Sustainability Spheres
The District Sustainability Committee has crafted goals within five spheres of sustainability, and this website is organized accordingly.
- Economics & Equity
- Transportation & Access
- Edicatopm & Culture
- Energy, Waste, Water + Facilities & Grounds
- Civic & Community Engagement